The bright and cloudless skies and the small amount of rainfall mean that there are sunny days with many hours of sunlight. In summer there is hardly any rainfall and in winter it only rains on an average of three days a month.
So, in the main tourist resorts there are 4,800 daylight hours a year, which means that the Canary Islands have the most daylight hours of anywhere in Europe. This phenomenon of long sunny days is due to their geographical situation and to the favourable influence of the trade winds and the Azores anticyclone.
Among the many benefits are a reduction in the number of depressions, a positive effect on many skin complaints and an increase in the levels of vitamin D in the body.
10 TIPS FOR SUNBATHING
Enjoy the pleasant Canary sun and take advantage of all the properties it offers with complete peace of mind by following this advice.
1. Protect yourself from the negative effects of the sun by using sunscreen. Apply it onto a dry skin 30 minutes before exposure to the sun.
2. Avoid sunbathing when the sun is highest in the sky (around midday) and take extra precautions the first time you are out in the open air.
3. Clouds reduce the amount of rays but be careful because many rays get through the clouds. So use sunscreen even if it’s cloudy.
4. Wear sun glasses, a hat or cap and the right clothing.
5. Don’t forget to apply the sunscreen to all areas of the skin that are going to be exposed to the sun.
6. If you are going in the water or you are going to do any water sports, make sure your sunscreen is water resistant and, if not, apply it again frequently.
7. Avoid dehydration by drinking more water and natural fruit juices than usual.
8. Eat more fruit and vegetables. They contain antioxidants which prevent the skin from ageing.
9. Look after your skin by using moisturiser. Apply it to your body and to your face. To improve the results further also use an antioxidant serum on your face before applying the moisturiser.
10. At night, after a wonderful day in the sun, pamper your skin with a regenerating cream made from aloe vera, which is grown in the Canary Islands.
BENEFITS FROM SUNBATHING
Do you know all the benefits?
It strengthens the bones and teeth
UV rays contribute to the production of vitamin D in the skin, very important for bone mineralisation.
Your skin looks better
Besides making your skin look better in general and more tanned, it has a positive effect on acne and psoriasis.
It boosts your defences
The sun increases the number of white blood cells, which are responsible for the first line of defence against infection.
It regulates cholesterol
UV light is essential for metabolising cholesterol.
It helps improve circulation
The sun dilates the blood cells to reduce blood pressure levels.
It protects against certain types of cancer
Vitamin D helps to prevent tumours.
It revitalises your spirit
Sunlight produces serotonin, a neurotransmitter associated with the sensation of well-being.
It helps you sleep better
UV rays produce melatonin, the hormone that regulates sleep cycles.
It’s good for your sex life
Sunbathing boosts the levels of testosterone in the blood, the hormone responsible for the sex drive.
It protects against multiple sclerosis
Exposure to the sun reduces the risk of developing the disease.