Walk through the historic capital of the Canary Islands
Located in the mid-west of the island of Fuerteventura, Betancuria is one of the most important colonial landmarks in the history of the Canary Islands. Founded in 1404 by the Norman Knight Jean de Bethencourt, the town's location was chosen for its secluded inland position to offer a better defence against pirate attacks. The town reached its peak in the 18th Century due to its abundant dry crop harvests. Today the entire local economy depends on tourism.
Fuerteventura’s religious colonial town
A walk through Betancuria gives visitors a glimpse of the previous way of life in Fuerteventura. The colonial town, recognised as a heritage site in 1979, offers tours around its many religious buildings. Highlights include the church of Santa María de la Concepción; the chapels of Santa Inés and Nuestra Señora de la Peña, as well as the old Franciscan convent of San Buenaventura. A visit to the Museum of Sacred Art and Fuerteventura´s Museum of Archaeology and Ethnography is also recommended.